Job Description :
The Manager Actuarial is responsible for overseeing assigned actuarial staff and projects; for hiring and training actuarial staff; providing technical support for other areas such as Product Management & Development, Underwriting & Rating, and Sales; assisting senior management decision makers by providing specialized reports and analysis of data on both a routine and ad hoc basis; and is accountable for developing employees, preparing rate filings, providing actuarial support for financial forecasts, and monitoring financial results.
Essential Job Functions:
- Communicate effectively.
- Supervise entry-level and mid-level actuarial staff.
- Prepare rate filings for large group, small group, direct pay, or senior products.
- Work with Underwriting and Rating, Sales and Product Management and Development to develop and implement appropriate rating strategies for group, direct pay or senior lines of business. Ensure that all strategies are in compliance with rate filings and applicable regulations.
- Provide advanced support for the claim reserve process.
- Provide assistance and risk management to the Product Management and Development area for pricing development of new products. Ensure that all new products are financially viable and stable.
- Determine underlying factors impacting pure premium trends for various products and regions. Monitor trends for use in rating. Identify any shifts in trend and take appropriate pricing actions.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5 or more years of experience in the Actuarial field
- 2 or more years of management experience and/or experience leading teams and/or projects of varying size and complexity
- Attainment of the ASA (Associate) designation in the Society of Actuaries
- Must be committed to pursuing actuarial exams and obtaining Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- 7 or more years of actuarial experience
- Completion of two FSA-level exam components
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to apply extensive knowledge of actuarial methods and procedures
- Strong supervisory, communication, organization and project management skills
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following: premium rate calculations, required reserves, plan design, trend analysis, rate table construction, actuarial research, or systems development
Referral Bonus: Level 4
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org