Job Description :
This senior-level analyst position utilizes advanced industry knowledge to initiate and lead the development of actuarial studies and analyses, making appropriate recommendations to actuarial management. While guiding and mentoring junior team members, the incumbent will envision and implement innovative new processes as part of the second-largest Integrated Delivery & Financing System in the nation. As a participant in Highmark’s Actuarial Rotation Program, the Associate Actuary will have the opportunity to explore traditional actuarial work (including premium and pricing development, claim trend analysis, claim reserving, experience studies, medical economics, and profitability analysis) as well as non-traditional actuarial work (to include value based reimbursement, care pathway analytics, provider analysis, wellness studies, network design, and predictive analytics).
Essential Job Functions:
- Outline data requirements for a study or analysis. Give direction to less experienced staff and review the appropriateness of the results in light of experience and industry knowledge.
- Initiate and lead the development of studies, analyses, and presentation materials needed to appropriately inform decision makers. Make appropriate recommendations to management across teams within the actuarial department.
- Proactively ensure the internal and external consistency of all work. Perform reasonability checks dependent on advanced industry knowledge and experience. Promptly and efficiently identify outliers and anomolies in the work of others. Identify methods to test whether suspect results are correct.
- Understand the environment, goals, and objectives of the incumbent’s own position, their team, and all internal customers. Take the initiative to propose changes to projects, systems, processes, or decisions so that the results of all the teams’ efforts conform better to corporate goals, objectives, and values.
- Manage own time and resources across many projects, focusing on quality, time, scope, usefulness, and appropriateness of work. Carry out recurring projects with minimal assistance and oversight. Keep manager informed.
- Interact with customers in a manner that fosters cooperation, teamwork, and influence while conveying engagement and competence. Enhance department influence while conveying engagement and competence. Effectively explain technical work to both technical and non-technical people.
- Guide and mentor less experienced staff on a regular basis in a manner that fosters teamwork and excellence. Listen, take direction, accept criticism and feedback to improve performance. Proactively take on additional work as needed by the team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or Closely Related Field
- 5 – 7 years in an Actuarial role
- 5 Exam Components
- 6+ Exam Components
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possesses and applies an in-depth knowledge of actuarial principles, concepts, practices and processes within multiple fields or disciplines
- Possesses significant expertise to complete complex assignments and ability to visualize, articulate, and solve complex problems while leading others to complete straightforward assignments
- Analytical Skills
- Oral & Written Communication Skills
Referral Bonus: Level 4
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org