Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Provides professional genetic counseling services to all patients and their families through identification, planning and processing of genetic information; maintains specific knowledge of medical literature as it relates to genetic issues.
- Provides genetic counseling and support to patients and families regarding genetic disorders and birth defects. (25%)
- Obtains and documents appropriate family history, including information that is known prior to, during, and after the counseling session. (20%)
- Performs newborn screening functions and coordinates all genetic testing including designating appropriate laboratories for testing and performs follow up on abnormal tests results. (20%)
- Identifies families at risk and investigates the problem present in the family. Interprets information about the disorder and analyzes inheritance patterns and the risks of recurrence. Reviews available options with the family. (20%)
- Acts as a professional/community resource. (10%)
- Researches current advances in the field of genetics/genetics counseling. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required, including but not limited to, dictating, typing and proofreading all patient letters and compiling paperwork.
- Master’s Degree in genetics
- Board certification or eligibility as a Diplomat of the American Board of Medical Genetics required, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 2 years’ experience in genetic counseling preferred
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy. Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice