Job Description :
The Manager Actuarial is responsible for overseeing assigned actuarial staff and projects; for hiring and training actuarial staff; providing technical support for other areas such as Product Management & Development, Underwriting & Rating, and Sales; assisting senior management decision makers by providing specialized reports and analysis of data on both a routine and ad hoc basis; and is accountable for developing employees, preparing rate filings, providing actuarial support for financial forecasts, and monitoring financial results.
- Communicate effectively.
- Supervise entry-level and mid-level actuarial staff.
- Prepare rate filings for large group, small group, direct pay, or senior products.
- Work with Underwriting and Rating, Sales and Product Management and Development to develop and implement appropriate rating strategies for group, direct pay or senior lines of business. Ensure that all strategies are in compliance with rate filings and applicable regulations.
- Provide advanced support for the claim reserve process.
- Provide assistance and risk management to the Product Management and Development area for pricing development of new products. Ensure that all new products are financially viable and stable.
- Determine underlying factors impacting pure premium trends for various products and regions. Monitor trends for use in rating. Identify any shifts in trend and take appropriate pricing actions.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or Statistics
- 5 years in the Actuarial field
- 2 years in a management role or leading teams
- 7 years in the Actuarial field
LICENSES or CERTIFICATIONS
- Associate of Society of Actuaries (ASA)
- Pursuing Fellowship of Society of Actuaries (FSA)
- Completion of two FSA-level exam components
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries
- Ability to apply extensive knowledge of actuarial methods and procedures
- Strong supervisory, communication, organization and project management skills
- In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following: premium rate calculations, required reserves, plan design, trend analysis, rate table construction, actuarial research, or systems development
Language (Other than English):
0% – 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice