Job Description :
This job analyzes all relevant data to assess the risk and adapt pricing for a book of business consisting of large complex clients. Applies judgment, backed by a clear rationale, to negotiate appropriate rating actions. Is recognized as an expert within the department and provides guidance to lower level staff. Externally, accountable for representing the department in corporate work groups.
- Responsible for a block of business (new or renewal) or for those new/renewing accounts assigned, including all rating methods.
- Guide, assist and train lower level staff to successfully underwrite accounts requiring rating adjustment factors.
- Train, coach and provide experiences to lower level staff with the purpose of developing skills, knowledge and performance.
- Support Management in maintaining/developing effective Underwriting Guidelines, processes and tools.
- Represent department's perspectives and needs in systems development. Expected to evaluate proposals, clearly communicate impact and negotiate appropriate compromises and solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Finance, Business, Computer Science or other related field
- 6 years of related experience in lieu of a Bachelor's Degree
- 6 years of relevant underwriting experience
- 7 years of relevant underwriting experience
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Producer's License Accident & Health – PA
- Relevant professional designation from an organization such as (but not limited to) HIAA/AMHC, CEBS, SOA.
- Ability to work independently, complete complex renewal calculations including appropriate modifications for questionllbe patterns without additional guidance
- Demonstrates an understanding of Corporate financial goals and Department objectives
- Effectively presents complex subjects to broad audiences
- Distinguishes between critical and noncritical informational needs in risk management negotiations, modifies arrangements accordingly and provides solid, persuasive arguments to support appropriate pricing decisions
- Develops relationships with decision makers to enhance influence on pricing decisions
- Initiates effective communications to move Sales and external audiences toward appropriate pricing decisions while identifying issues that may lead to miscommunication
Language (Other than English):
0% – 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice