Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Assists in the delivery of patient care in the operating room. Performs procedures under the direction of the Charge Nurse or RN, provides equipment resources to cases, assists with environmental services, transports items to support patient care and communicates the needs of the patient, by performing the following duties. May assists charge nurse in acquisition of equipment for upcoming cases. Communicates with vendors, Saint Vincent Hospital CPD and OR and with other facilities for supplies and equipment. Communicates to pre-op staff and patients/families regarding delays in the Operating Room
- Follows established procedures for identification and transportation of patients to and from the department.
- Provides emotional support to patients and families.
- Relays patient information to nursing staff members as requested.
- Promotes compassionate communication that is patient, family and team centered.
- Anticipates equipment needs based on scheduled cases and transports equipment to and from the OR as needed.
- Orders and stocks department cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Orders and stocks department linen supplies.
- Maintains adequate supply of blankets in blanket warmer.
- Stocks center core scrub areas with scrub brushes, scrub solutions, nail cleaners, and paper towels.
- Responds to patient emergencies and assists nursing and physician staff as directed.
- Performs daily cleaning of OR rooms between patients, ensuring clean environment for all surgical patients.
- Inspects OR after cleaning for any remaining body fluid or debris. Cleans debris from OR floor and hallway.
- Terminally cleans each OR at the end of the daily schedule.
- Sets up each OR after terminal cleaning in preparation to receive the next patient. This involves inspecting each OR to ensure appropriate furniture and equipment is available in the room, returning OR furniture to appropriate location within the room, ensuring suction canisters are available for use, and providing adequate stock of cleaning supplies and trash and linen bags for the next day.
- Provide daily cleaning of OR support areas such as anesthesia office, locker rooms and lounges, office areas, and restroom facilities.
- Completes monthly cleaning duties.
- Completes floor care in ORs as needed–monthly scrubbing and stripping and waxing as needed.
- Documents completion of daily terminal cleaning of ORs and monthly cleaning activities as completed with date and initials.
- Cleans equipment before transport into or out of the OR.
- Cleans transport carts in between patients.
- Provides weekly thorough cleaning of transport carts.
- Completes daily inventory of transport carts. Initiates search for those not available.
- Maintains patient transport log.
- Monitors progression of surgical cases to be available to assist the RN at critical points in the care of the patient.
- Transports frozen sections and other specimens requiring immediate transport to the lab. Double checks the patient label to ensure correct identification of the patient before removing specimen from the room.
- Responds quickly to pages from assigned rooms.
- Assists the care team in moving patients to and from the operating room table.
- Assists the RN with patient prepping by holding patient's limb for RN to prep.
- Assists with patient positioning under the direction of the surgeon or RN.
- Provides care to deceased patients in conjunction with RN. Transports deceased patient to morgue.
- Obtains blood and blood products from Blood Bank following established procedures.
- Returns unused blood products to the Blood Bank at the end of the surgical procedure.
- Inspects OR for any patient belongings, identification stickers, or unused supplies after transport of patient to post op care unit and cleaning of the room. Discusses items with RN for appropriate disposition.
- Assists the RN with set up and operation of equipment as needed.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Internet email software, McKesson PHS
- CPR Certification within 12 months of hire
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice