Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
The Service Line Vice President acts as a strategic and operational resource with direct reporting responsibility to the Pediatric Institute Physician Chair with input from the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of Allegheny Clinic. Interacts closely with practice operations, the Division Chiefs and System Chairs of the appropriate Service Line and hospital leaders to ensure stability, growth and the financial success of the service line. Serves as the liaison between the medical staff, offices, hospital management and AHN leadership. Overall strategic goals are to exceed standards for quality, safety, access care alignment, and financial performance.
1. Works in collaboration with the Pediatric Institute Physician Chair, Allegheny Clinic, physician and hospital leadership to establish strategy and yearly performance goals for each division/department. Works closely with respective chairs/chiefs of departments/divisions on issues related to care alignment, business development, physician productivity, contract management, revenue enhancement, capital and operating budgets including: departmental service line budget development, variance analysis and expense monitoring. Prepares and presents business case/plans for new initiatives and partners with hospital leadership to ensure service line and capital needs are captured within market/region across AHN entities. Assists with the development and oversight of the annual physician budget and collaborates with hospital finance leaders, AC and AHN finance leaders in the management of physician practice performance.
2. Analyzes trends impacting volume, revenues and expenses. Makes recommendations to allow for the service line's continued success; establishes revenue and expense targets; develops and provides objective criteria for measuring existing and new business opportunities. Assists with the development of growth strategies for inpatient and outpatient services. Maintains a thorough understanding of clinical reimbursement, federal and state regulations, and managed care issues. Identifies opportunities to optimize clinical reimbursement and implements new policies and procedures as necessary.
3.Ensures a transparent and conscious awareness of issues that need to be escalated and takes ownership of notifying all key stakeholders of those issues.
4. Maintains an in-depth knowledge of the changing health care environment and evaluates the market need for specific clinical services or programs. Collaborates with hospital Chief Medical Officer (CMO), AHN CMO and department chairs to integrate programs and services.
5. Acts as an advocate aware of system resources and develops relationships and opportunities with internal and external parties. Responds timely to requests for information and acts as the initial contact point for all service line requests across all AHN entities as it pertains to physician services. Provides leadership to physician recruitment and development functions in collaboration with hospital leadership, AC leadership and AHN. Identifies and maintains physician recruitment needs across AHN, and implements strategic initiatives needed for the retention, replacement, and expansion of physician resources to satisfy service line needs. Works with CMO/CAO and Department Chairs to develop and negotiate new contracts for physicians joining Allegheny Clinic and affiliated entities and renewal contracts for existing physicians employed by Allegheny Clinic, as well as external entities interested in contracting services.
6. In consultation with and incorporating input from clinical leaders, physicians and staff, conceives, plans and executes proactive strategic initiatives that enable the service line to continuously improve patient and physician satisfaction, expand market segments and respond to emerging market opportunities; participates in marketing and promotional initiatives within the service line, developing marketing campaigns, implementing programs and reporting on measured results.
7. Identifies and oversees clinical issues as areas for quality improvement processes.
8. May also hold project/program responsibilities outside the service line that establishes Allegheny Clinic as an organization of excellence.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- 5+ years experience in multi-site physician practice operations management, physician recruitment required.
- MBA or other appropriate advanced degree strongly preferred
- Proven Pediatrics experience (inpatient and outpatient)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and self-motivation. Must be able to make difficult decisions, measure and achieve targeted results. Must be able to work in a stressful environment and take appropriate actions in volatile situations.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Does this role supervise/manage other employees? Yes
If yes, indicate the number of direct reports:
Indicate the total number of direct and indirect reports:
Is Travel Required?
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy. Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice