Job Description :
This job is an individual contributor actuary position that initiates and leads the development of actuarial studies and analyses. Provides direction to staff and will represent the department's perspectives and needs in cross disciplinary settings. The incumbent applies actuarial techniques and statistical analysis to several functions, including insurance premium and pricing development, claim trend analysis, experience studies, medical economics, profitability analysis, wellness studies, predictive modeling, or claim reserving.
- Outline data requirements for a study or analysis. Give direction to less experienced staff and review the appropriateness of the results in light of experience and industry knowledge.
- Independently initiate and lead the development of complex studies, analyses, and presentation materials needed to appropriately inform decision makers. Make appropriate recommendations to senior management across teams both within the actuarial department and across other departments.
- Proactively ensure the internal and external consistency of all work. Perform reasonability checks dependent on advanced industry knowledge and experience. Promptly and efficiently identify outliers and anomalies in the work of others. Identify methods to test whether suspect results are correct. Form reasonable approximations in advance of results of an analysis and determine whether deviations are reasonable or suspect.
- Understand the environment, goals, and objectives of the incumbent's own position, their team, and all internal customers. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of both corporate and division goals and values. Apply corporate, professional, and industry knowledge & insight to all tasks under incumbent's control or influence. Effectively advocate across entire corporation for appropriate positions, processes, and systems which can reasonably be adopted.
- Manage own time and resources across many projects. Plan and oversee complex projects involving a small group of people coordinating scope, time, and resources. Possess knowledge to set a project's approach and answer most questions of less experienced team members. Mentor and assist in development of less experienced staff. Keep manager informed.
- Use effective communication to present information and provide decision support to team members and executive management. Appropriately balance the need for clarity and brevity with the need to fully inform customers of all aspects of a situation which may be material to a decision.
- Represent department's perspectives and needs in cross disciplinary settings. Consistent with the direction and expectations of incumbent's supervisor: evaluate proposals; clearly communicate impacts and issues to both internal and external audiences; and, negotiate appropriate compromises and solutions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics or closely related field
- 7 – 10 years of Actuary experience in the area of specialization
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Associate of the Society of Actuaries (ASA)
- Fellow of the Society of Actuaries (FSA)
- Possesses and applies a comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of actuarial principles, concepts, practices and processes within two or more fields of specialization
- Possesses significant expertise to complete complex assignments and ability to visualize, articulate, and solve complex problems while leading others to complete complex assignments
- Develops, designs, and leads analytic frameworks to solve complex problems using innovative approaches
- Assignments are broad in scope and require depth of knowledge as well as ingenuity and originality
- Analytical Skills
- Oral & Written Communication Skills
- Solves complex problems taking a broad perspective and developing innovative solutions
Language (Other than English)
0% – 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy. Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice