Job Description :
Highmark Health has a vision to reinvent the way that consumers and their clinicians engage in a person’s health which we call Living Health. Central to that vision is the creation of a new health experience for both customers and clinicians, blending the clinician aspects in a way that is seamless and customized to a person’s health needs and their preferences for how they want to interact with the system. This vision is meant to apply to all Highmark Health customers, whether they sit in Western PA where we have AHN, or in Idaho where they are a national account member.
A key part to making this vision work is to determine how we can employ technology to extend the reach, access, and effectiveness of clinical care delivery within the context of an integrated customer experience. This ranges from enabling the virtual delivery of more traditional services like office visits to using wearable devices that provide real-time biometric data to support the management of a patient’s care and integration of AI powered analytics providing actionable information to patients and clinicians into electronic health records. The virtual health dyad leadership team – the Virtual Health Medical Director and the VP Enterprise Virtual Health… – will provide input into strategy of where, when, how, and who to use in the technological enablement of our Living Health Solutions within the context of our Living Health strategy They will also oversee and coordinate the delivery of virtual care health through partnerships and network clinicians.
As a key part of the role, the Virtual Health Medical Director will also play a key role within the Living Health Solutions team to build-out our chronic and episodic solutions. We expect that virtual delivery and remote monitoring will be important parts of several of our solutions, so it will be critical that the Virtual Health Medical Director is ensuring that the virtual health strategy is being translated into the solution design.
The Virtual Health Team will work closely with several other functions in the organization, particularly all members of the Living Health team (Living Health Solutions, Living Health Partnerships, Living Health markets, Data/Digital/Analytics, Customer Experience) and the clinical organizations in the network who will be responsible for delivery of care. The virtual health team will report into the Chief Medical and Clinical Transformation Officer of Highmark Health.
The Virtual Health Medical Director will be expected to be a practicing physician and as such will have a portion of their time (20%) devoted to clinical work. This is critical in order for the Virtual Health Medical Director to stay current with patient expectations and behaviors and to understand the practical clinical aspects of the virtual health solutions that are being devised. The preference will be for the physician’s specialty to be one that is heavily involved in ambulatory care and chronic disease management, though this is not required.
- Co-lead the development and ongoing refresh of the Highmark Health strategy for virtual health. That strategy will include a view on where we want to virtualize, what technologies and partners are needed, who should deliver the services (both clinically and administratively), and where innovation will take place
- Co-lead the build-out and coordination of the delivery network needed to support the virtual health solutions, with particular emphasis on how physician partners in our network fit into the broader spectrum of solutions
- Be a resource to the LH Solutions team in the solution development process
- Lead the procurement of a national telehealth partner to enable LH solutions in the near-term while we build out the Living Health Dynamic Platform
- Represent the clinical point of view on all decisions related to the identification, build-out and management of technology needed to support virtual solutions
- Develop the implementation framework, playbook, and approach for bringing clinical decisions to all partner organizations
- Serve as an ambassador for Highmark Health and its strategy to partner clinical organizations in the roll-out of our virtual health models
- Work in concert with Living Health Solutions team to monitor ongoing effectiveness of virtual health solutions
- Provide other clinical duties as assigned within the enterprise, including ongoing maintenance of the Virtual Health Medical Director’s own clinical practice
- Doctor of Medicine (MD) or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- Practicing physician with at least 10+ years clinical practice
- Demonstrated record of clinical leadership, including experience leading multi-disciplinary clinical teams
- Experience with virtual health delivery and operations
- Experience working in a highly matrixed clinical structure
- Demonstrated record of leading clinical change, preferably across disciplines/departments/institutes
- Deep knowledge and understanding of contemporary leading practice in virtual health
- Strong networking capabilities and ability to lead through partnership and collaboration
- Capacity to execute both short-term wins and long-term strategies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and accomplish multiple, complex tasks simultaneously
LICENSES or CERTIFICATIONS
Board Certified Physician with Unrestricted Medical License in the state of PA OR ability to obtain license within the first 6 months of employment.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, can visually convey concepts
- Managing through some levels of ambiguity. Ability to create a function “from scratch”
- Experience in matrix management, including own function and providing matrix oversight to others
Language (Other than English):
0% – 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice