Job Description :
Highmark Health has a vision to reinvent the way that consumers and their clinicians engage in a person’s health which we call Living Health. Central to that vision is the creation of a new health experience for both customers and clinicians, blending the clinician aspects in a way that is seamless and customized to a person’s health needs and their preferences for how they want to interact with the system. In our view, a person’s health is a combination of their physical, mental, and social health. This vision is meant to apply to all Highmark Health customers, whether they sit in Western PA where we have AHN, or in Idaho where they are a national account member.
A key part to making this vision work is to highlight and address the underserved behavioral health care market in a way that addresses various intervention points. The behavioral health team will determine how we can develop and deploy a strategy to extend the reach, access, and effectiveness of clinical care delivery within the context of an integrated customer experience. This will include the creation of an enterprise behavioral health strategy and oversight for the suite of solutions designed in support of that strategy. The behavioral health dyad leadership team – the Behavioral Health Medical Director and the VP of Enterprise Behavioral Health – will be responsible for the full strategy of where, when, how, and who to use in the launch and execution of the behavioral health focused solution portfolio. They will also oversee and coordinate the delivery of behavioral health through partnerships and network clinicians.
The Behavioral Health leaders will work closely with several other functions in the organization, particularly all members of the Living Health team (Living Health Solutions, Living Health Partnerships, Living Health markets, Data/Digital/Analytics, Customer Experience) and the clinical organizations in the network who will be responsible for delivery of care. The Behavioral Health dyad leadership team will be part of the Enterprise Clinical Organization and report into the Living Health leadership of the ECO.
The Behavioral Health Medical Director will be expected to be a practicing physician and as such will have a portion of their time (20%) devoted to clinical work. This is critical in order for the Behavioral Health Medical Director to stay current with patient expectations and behaviors and to understand the practical clinical aspects of the virtual health solutions that are being devised. The preference will be for the physician’s specialty to be one that is heavily involved in behavioral health specialty, and an active participator in the community of practice. It is likely that the key stakeholders involved in executing the strategy will sit in other parts of the organization, so the Behavioral Health Medical Director will need to be comfortable working in a matrix model and exerting leadership through influence.
- Co-lead the development and ongoing refresh of the Highmark Health strategy for behavioral health. That strategy will include an integrated approach to care delivery, what technologies and partners are needed, who should deliver the services (both clinically and administratively), and how we can equip customers, patients, and members to engage in behavioral health maintenance care.
- Co-lead the build-out and coordination of the delivery network needed to support the behavioral health solutions, with particular emphasis on how physician partners in our network fit into the broader spectrum of solutions
- Develop the implementation framework, playbook, and approach for bringing clinical decisions to all partner organizations
- Serve as an ambassador for Highmark Health and its strategy to partner clinical organizations in the roll-out of our behavioral health models
- Work in concert with Living Health Solutions team to develop behavioral health solutions and monitor ongoing effectiveness of those solutions
- Work to develop an integrated behavioral health team across the organization. This will include establishing an operating model across the enterprise as many of the key stakeholders responsible for executing the behavioral health strategy will sit in other parts of the organization.
- Provide other clinical duties as assigned within the enterprise, including ongoing maintenance of the Behavioral Health Medical Director’s own clinical practice
- Practicing physician with at least 10+ years clinical practice
- Demonstrated record of clinical leadership, including experience leading multi-disciplinary clinical teams
- Experience with behavioral health delivery and operations
- Experience working in a highly matrixed clinical structure
- Demonstrated record of leading clinical change, preferably across disciplines/departments/institutes
- Deep knowledge and understanding of contemporary leading practice in behavioral health
- Strong networking capabilities and ability to lead through partnership and collaboration
- Capacity to execute both short-term wins and long-term strategies
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to organize, prioritize, and accomplish multiple, complex tasks simultaneously
LICENSES or CERTIFICATIONS
- Strong oral and written communication skills, can visually convey concepts
- Managing through some levels of ambiguity.Ability to create a function “from scratch”
- Experience in matrix management, including own function and providing matrix oversight to others
Language (Other than English):
0% – 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice