Job Description :
This job is responsible for oversight of the financial operations of a business segment within the company and support of the direct operating expense oversight of the department. Appraises operating results in terms of costs, budgets, operational policies, trends and increased profit opportunities. Partners with segment and matrix partner leaders to drive achievement of current year and multi-year financial commitments.
- Performs management responsibilities to include, but are not limited to: involved in hiring and termination decisions, coaching and development, rewards and recognition, performance management and staff productivity.
- Plans, organizes, staffs, directs and controls the day-to-day operations of the department; develops and implements policies and programs as necessary; may have budgetary responsibility and authority.
- Functions as a member of the team responsible for developing vision and strategy. Provides detailed guidance on the preparation of all financial components of the strategic plans across the business segment. Oversees communication of strategy and vision to management and staff and to representatives of the company.
- Accountable for activities required to maintain financial records, the preparation of financial statements, the preparation of Board of Director statements, and the preparation of statutory reports for submission to the Department of Insurance in various states.
- Leads the business segment department operating expense oversight, including maintenance of budget development processes and assessment of operating effectiveness with respect to current and multi-year financial performance targets.
- Oversees the detailed, multi-year earnings improvement initiatives under the direct and indirect control of the segment leadership, including measurable initiatives across all Profit & Loss (P&L) categories.
- Partners with actuarial functions, enabling effective product pricing, in-year claim analysis, and incurred but not recorded reserve decision making.
- Oversees compliance matters including product filings, resolution of regulatory issues, responses to regulatory inquires, for a variety of products and programs marketed across the United States. Provides counseling/advice with respect to regulatory developments in the external environment, product development issues, and the interpretation and administration of Commercial Markets products.
- Provides oversight of the business segments initiatives, ensuring that initiative business cases are thoroughly documented and that measurable success criteria are contemplated in current and multi-year budgets, projections, etc.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
Bachelor's Degree- Finance, Accounting or other related field.
Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or other related field.
- 7+ years' progressive management experience in finance or accounting.
- Healthcare payer sector experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Ability to analyze financial results and to comprehend complex rating structures impacting financial results and used for financial forecasting
- Effectively interact with all levels of management, which includes strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to concisely explain financial principles and practices
- Must be detail-oriented and possess strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to work in a matrixed organization/environment
TRAVEL REQUIREMENT: 0% – 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS
(The physical, mental demands and working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of their job. Reasonable accommodations will be made when necessary to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties of the position, to the extent that they do not cause undue hardship.
An employee in this position works in an office environment. The position frequently requires the employee to communicate effectively with others both inside and outside the workplace (e.g., in person, via telephone, via email). The employee must be able to understand, interpret and analyze data, solve problems, concentrate, and research, use available technological resources and systems (e.g., computers and computer programs), multi-task, prioritize, and meet multiple deadlines to complete essential tasks. The employee generally works in a fast-paced and frequently stressful environment, must attend work on a regular and reliable basis as well as adhere to all workplace policies, and may be called upon to work outside regular business hours.
Changes Approved By:
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This position adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies
Referral Level Payout 3
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice