Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Performs thorough medical record review to abstract medical information and code diagnoses and procedures utilizing ICD and CPT coding classification systems and encoder to meet financial, third party and federal/state regulatory standards.
- Reviews and interprets medical information, physician treatment plans, courses, and outcomes to determine appropriate ICD/CPT codes for diagnoses and procedures. (65%)
- Abstracts data elements to satisfy statistical requests by the hospital, health system, medical staff, etc. and enters all coded/abstracted information into the hospital information system. (15%)
- Acts as a mentor for others. Ensures efficient management of medical information and cash flow as it pertains to the unbilled coding report. (10%)
- Keeps informed of the changes/updates in the ICD/CPT by attending appropriate training, reviewing coding clinics and other resources and implements these updates in their daily work. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required. (5%)
- High school diploma or GED.
- Successful completion of college level courses in anatomy and physiology and medical terminology.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPCH), Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCSP), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Outpatient Coder (COC), or Certified Coding Associate (CCA).
- Expertise in ICD and CPT coding and reporting guidelines.
- Minimum 4 years coding experience and cross trained in two of the following: inpatient, outpatient surgery/GI lab/bedded outpatients.
- Advanced encoder and computer skills.
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology.
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice