Gateway Health Plan
Job Description :
This job assigns codes (ICD-9, 10, CPT and HCPCS) which most accurately describe diagnosis, procedures and therapies according to established guidelines. The incumbent is accountable for assigning and sequencing ICD-9 CM/CPT/HCPCS and ICD-10 codes to diagnoses and procedure for the documented information.
- Compile, abstract and maintain patient medical records to document condition and treatment. Actively code diagnoses (ICD-9) based on medical record documentation.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations. Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained.
- Participate in inter-rater reliability testing/peer review exercises, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Associate degree in medical record technology or 1 year coding diploma
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA) or Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) or Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- 1 year of coding experience
- Risk adjustment coding experience preferred
- Medical office experience preferred
- Experience with commercial claims and/or medical/surgical products or Medicare advantage or Medicare fee for service program coverage, the Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9, ICD-10) information
- Knowledge of coding International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision (ICD-9) codes
- Understands and applies appropriate Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines to coding
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
- Coding software familiarity
- Excellent verbal, math and written communication skills
- Data entry
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Does this role supervise/manage other employees?
Is Travel Required?
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This position adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.Laiali11
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice