United Concordia Companies Inc
Job Description :
This job analyzes data such as type of industry, financial condition, and other characteristics to assess risk for a book of business consisting of moderately complex clients. Applies judgment when clients do not comply with established underwriting policies, practices and standards.
Due to Department of Defense (DoD) contract requirements, the incumbent who fills this position must be a US citizen, and must also pass a background check
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for a block of business (new or renewal) or for those new/renewing accounts assigned, including all rating methods.
- Develop recommendations of policy adaptation and rating adjustments to cover questionable claim patterns or unusual situations not anticipated within standard pricing formulae.
- Effectively communicate Underwriting rationale and case specific underwriting results to aid Sales Management in making effective pricing decisions.
- Assist lower level Underwriters to successfully underwrite accounts requiring rating adjustment factors.
- Support maintenance of departmental tools and processes.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mathematics, Actuarial Science, Finance, Business, Computer Science or other quantitative analysis discipline (6 years of related experience in lieu of a Bachelor’s Degree)
- 3 years of relevant underwriting experience
- Actively pursuing a relevant professional designation from an organization such as (but not limited to) HIAA/AMHC, CEBS, SOA
- 4 years of relevant underwriting experience
- Previous underwriting experience working with health, dental, and/or vision products
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to work independently and assume responsibility for moderately complex account situations without additional guidance
- Understands the relationships between different systems and data sources
- Can develop recommendations for issue resolution and discusses with higher level staff to determine best approach
- Strong communication skills. Explains renewals and/or quotes in terms understood by internal audiences
- Interacts with internal customers in a manner that fosters cooperation, teamwork and collaboration
Referral Bonus: Level 1
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice