Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Under direct supervision of the nurse, provides for the care, safety, comfort and privacy of patients based on their individual needs.
- Provides, obtains or performs and documents direct patient care and activities such as: activities of daily living, instructing and observing patient on incentive spirometer and/or cough and deep breathing, skin survey, vital signs, ambulation, specimen collection, phlebotomy, intake and output, meal consumption, height and weight, 12 lead EKG testing, blood glucose testing/monitoring, point of care testing, bladder scanning, transporting of patients and their charts, documentation of O2, clean catheterization technique (per hospital protocol), simple dressing changes, dry dressings, removal of Foley catheters, assistance with exams, treatments and procedures. May also encourage and observe patient on incentive spirometry and/or cough/deep breathing. (50%)
- Participates in quality and patient satisfaction initiatives which may include hourly rounding, promoting safety such as fall prevention, hand washing, isolation protocol and maintaining an orderly environment and participates actively in related departmental committees such as shared governance committees. (20%)
- Reports to nursing staff changes in patient’s physical, mental, or emotional condition as well as any issues or concerns identified. (10%)
- Participates in unit acitivities such as stocking supplies, transporting patients and cleaning, checking and retrieving equipment/appliances. (10%)
- May function in the role of unit secretary as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
Note: Employees employed as a Nursing Assistant I may advance to Nursing Assistant II via established internal career ladder. If nursing assistant wants to be eligible for the Career Ladder, they must have six months of current direct patient care experience.
- Must successfully complete class at AHN STAR Center.
- Current CPR certification required.
- LPN/GN/GPN, certification as a nursing assistant, medical assistant, paramedic EMT or AHN Nursing Assistant required.
- Six months of current direct patient care experience.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org