Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Performs thorough medical record review to abstract medical and demographic data, and to code diagnoses and procedures utilizing ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 coding classification systems; enters data into the computer; assists in decreasing the average accounts receivable days attributable to medical records.
- Learns and applies coding principles and clinical documentation strategies by following education schedules and coding/abstracting by record type. (35%)
- Reviews and interprets medical information, physician treatment plans, course, and outcome to determine appropriate ICD-9-CM/CPT codes for diagnoses and procedures. (35%)
- Abstracts data elements to satisfy statistical requests by the hospital, health system, medical staff, etc. and enters all coded/abstracted information into designated system. (20%)
- Participates in all continuous quality review efforts to ensure accurate and compliant coding. (5%)
- Assures that medical records are current, complete, and readily accessible. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Successful completion of college level courses in anatomy and physiology and medical terminology.
- Basic computer skills.
- Associate’s Degree in Health Information Technology.
- Knowledge of ICD and CPT coding and reporting guidelines.
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Professional Coder (CPC), Certified Professional Coder-Hospital (CPCH), Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCSP) or Certified Coding Specialist (CCS).
- 1 year inpatient / outpatient coding experience.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf)
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org