Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Releases patient information from medical records. Performs all functions in accordance with hospital policies and procedures, Medical Staff Rules and Regulations, The Joint Commissions, HIPAA, and State and Federal Regulations.
- Processes written and telephone requests for release of medical records or medical information to internal and external requestors. Validates the authority to release information to external parties such as law enforcement and attorneys. Ensures that each release is in compliance with policies, procedures, and all regulations. Releases reports via auto fax, fax, or photocopy. (70%)
- Processes “walk-in” requests for copies of medical records from patients, attorneys, police, or other third parties. (15%)
- Responds to subpoena duces tecum, search warrants, and court orders. (5%)
- Enters all correspondence requests into the correspondence management system(s). Processes pre-billing and invoices as needed. Maintains current chart management of all correspondence. (5%)
- Processes release of information and prepare records for patient billing, financial requests, and audits. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- High School Diploma/GED
- 2 years of relevant experience required if incumbent doesn’t have Associate’s degree
- Associate’s degree
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) Certification
- 2 years of relevant experience
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org