Company :Highmark Inc.
Job Description :
This job develops, solidifies and enhances productive working relationships with local, state and certain federal legislators and their respective support staffs.
Acts as an informational resource for legislators and their support staffs on matters relevant to Highmark Wholecare’s corporate mission and business strategies.
Influences policy decisions favorable to Highmark Wholecare® by means of productive relationships, educational efforts and the recommending and implementation of pertinent legislative solutions. The incumbent regularly monitors and reports legislative and political developments affecting Highmark Wholecare® under the direction of its Chief Executive Officer. Constructs Highmark Wholecare’s position on legislative and political matters and stratagizes on such matters with senior management as they develop. Periodically informs Highmark Wholecare® staff on legislative and political matters relevant to Highmark Wholecare’s corporate mission. Networks and develops other business relationships with individuals and organizations to exchange intelligence and gain access to key policy makers. Maintains a high level of understanding regarding Highmark Wholecare® operations and the business segment(s) it serves. Assists legislators in quickly resolving constituent matters involving Highmark Wholecare® members and providers as they are brought to their attention. Accesses Plan resources and leadership for assistance in creating remedy. Manages legislative liaison and coordinates with consultants.
- Participate in direct communication with and lobbying of members of state legislatures in conjunction with designated Plan lobbyist regarding issues relating to the corporation’s business interests.
- Communicate with external audiences which include legislative staff, state agency officials and representatives of other corporations and trade associations.
- Develop, solidify and enhance productive working relationships with local, state and certain federal legislators and their respective support staffs.
- Regularly monitor and report legislative and political developments affecting Highmark Wholecare® under the direction of its Chief Executive Officer.
- Review and analyze all Health Plan impacting state and/or federal bills to determine the impact on the corporation and its subsidiaries.
- Compose and produce a monthly state legislative status report which is distributed to management.
- Report on the status of bills affecting the corporation at periodic legislative briefings held for Highmark Wholecare® management and staff.
- Keep apprised of all state and federal actions impacting on the health care delivery system as well as legislative issues emerging in other states and Congress.
- Interface with Government Business, Legal and other affected business units to determine the potential impact of proposed legislation on subscriber benefits and corporate business.
- Construct Highmark Wholecare’s position on legislative and political matters.
- Maintain a high level of understanding regarding Highmark Wholecare® operations and the business segment(s) it serves.
- Strategize on such matters with senior management as they develop.
- Network and develop other business relationships with individuals and organizations to exchange intelligence and gain access to key policy makers.
- Establish contacts with key legislators and staff, regular communications with the Highmark Wholecare® CEO, review of state and federal publications, attendance at committee meetings and review of legislative notes of session.
- Assist legislators in quickly resolving constituent matters involving Highmark Wholecare® members and providers as they are brought to their attention.
- Access Plan resources and leadership for assistance in creating remedy.
- Influence policy decisions favorable to Highmark Wholecare® by means of productive relationships, educational efforts and the recommending and implementation of pertinent legislative solutions.
- Manage oversight of legislative liaison with meetings held with CEO to ensure policy direction and strategy formulation.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5 years of managed care experience
- 5-7 years of experience with government affairs
- Registered lobbyist with PA legislature
- 5 years of sales and marketing and/or actuarial experience in the areas of health insurance, Medicaid or Medicare managed care plans and/or government affairs (lobbying)
- Management experience
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Does this role supervise/manage other employees?
Yes, number of direct reports: 1
Is Travel Required?
Yes- local travel to events relevant to role.
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement: This position adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Pay Range Minimum:$78,900.00
Pay Range Maximum:$146,000.00
Base pay is determined by a variety of factors including a candidate’s qualifications, experience, and expected contributions, as well as internal peer equity, market, and business considerations. The displayed salary range does not reflect any geographic differential Highmark may apply for certain locations based upon comparative markets.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org