Job Description :
The Medical Director will provide qualified medical direction and consultation for the delivery of care and complex case management for a seriously ill population. In addition, this role will provide clinical leadership and guidance to the regional interdisciplinary team. The medical director collaborates clinically with the Advanced Practice Provider (APP) to insure standards of care are practiced. This position will take an active role in quality improvement including tracking and trending of metrics, establishment of quality improvement projects and engagement with process improvement. The role includes recognizing clinical gaps and opportunities among the team and to work with the clinical directors and APPs to educate and maximize the team to perform at the top of their scope. The Medical Director will partner with the APP, nurse and social worker to communicate with the primary care physician as necessary for appropriate medical care. The role will provide oversight of physician services by complementing the primary care physician, acting as a medical resource to the interdisciplinary group, assuring continuity of care, establishment of goals of care, care plans and through patient-centered evaluation and engagement. The medical director will serve as a clinical champion – promoting and representing the program to physicians, physician groups, discharge planners, other referral sources, community health organizations, and potential donors, as appropriate.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Provide overall medical direction to the interdisciplinary team. Devote their best ability to the proper management of the program
- Assure that the established policies, bylaws, rules, and regulations of the organization are followed in the program
- Develop and continually review the education programs provided to the interdisciplinary team in cooperation with the Executive Medical Director
- Evaluate quality assurance and performance improvement plans and monitor to identify medical education needs in cooperation with the Executive Medical Director
- Serve as a clinical champion in the community
- Act as a liaison to community physicians by providing consultation and education to colleagues and attending physicians related to care and complex care management of a seriously ill population
- Participate in team meetings as scheduled.
- Join APP and/or RN on home visits basis on a scheduled and as needed.
- Cross cover other physicians during vacations and time off
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Doctorate, Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (DO)
- 5 years of Board Certified Physician experience
- 5 years related, progressive clinical experience in the area of specialization including hospice and palliative care, geriatrics, complex care, or interdisciplinary work.
- 5 years experience as an actively practicing physician in field of specialty
- 3 years experience in all aspects of medical cost management, care management, quality and medical policy
- Experience working in a highly-matrixed clinical structure
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Board Certified MD or DO with a current, unrestricted medical license in any US State and the ability to obtain a PA medical license within the first 6 months of employment.
- May be required to obtain licensure in additional states after hire
- Highly motivated with exceptional organizational skills, including the ability to effectively and competently handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously and the flexibility and ability to quickly adapt to changes in work objectives, promotions, and available technology.
- Able to identify the root issues and formulate potential solutions and action plans in a professional environment both independently and with a team.
- Accurately use logic and reasoning in identifying alternate solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems. Potential solutions should be synthesized into presentation, timetable to resolution and appropriate follow up with measurable outcomes.
- Leads with a customer and clinician-centric lens and advocates for a combined customer and clinician view in all interactions.
- Superior communication skills to lead the team in care coordination across multiple settings on the care continuum.
Language (Other than English):
0% - 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Most On-The-Road Positions
Non-Office Based Positions
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org