Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
This position is part of a union (SEIU-E) and will primarily work 6:30am-3pm with some evenings and weekends.
Assists the Principle Investigator (PI) in planning, designing, developing and executing research protocols involving animals and anatomical materials. Performs surgery on a variety of research animals including but not limited to mice, rats, guinea pigs, hamsters and swine with relative independence under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- Performs surgery on a variety of research animals including but not limited to mice, rats, guinea pigs, and hamsters with relative independence under the supervision of the Principal Investigator. Administers injections, performs venipuncture, applies wound dressing and takes vital signs of the animals.(45%)
- Maintains compliance of animal records in accordance with IACUC requirements. (10%)
- Coordinates animal procurement, acts as liaison between CVI and all other outside agencies and provide management and technical support for the animal care facility. (5%)
- Performs protocol surgical procedures for sample collection of tissue, body fluids and biopsies. Develops novel surgical techniques/procedures to support arising needs of the PI. (10%)
- Maintains records of all procedures, animal use, protocol compliance and integrity of the animal database. (10%)
- Prepares medication, equipment and instruments for surgery, sterilizes surgical instruments and materials after use. (5%)
- Acts as an Animal Surgical Expert providing consulting to other lab staff. (5%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- 4 years experience in multidisciplinary biomedical research laboratory or veterinary clinic.
- Large and small animal surgical experience.
- Should be familiar with sterile technique.
- Must be computer literate.
- Good working knowledge of anatomy and physiology are essential.
- Understand animal welfare policy and regulations.
- Bachelor's degree in a biological science with formal veterinary training preferred.
- AALAS certification preferred.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org