Company :Highmark Inc.
Job Description :
This job is responsible for the daily oversight of the Appeals and Grievances staff and for all levels of internal, external and expedited processes for the Medicaid line of business. The incumbent is accountable for all contractual and regulatory requirements and specifications for each internal and external appeal level for the Medicaid line of business. Implements processes and monitoring mechanisms that ensure the quality and timeliness of the appeals and grievance work product to ensure compliance with applicable contracts, federal and state regulatory requirements and accreditation standards. Provides statistical summaries and trend observations. Oversees and provides continuous monitoring of delegated entities to ensure regulatory compliance with performance standards. The incumbent generates all reports pertaining to Appeals and Grievances as outlined in the Medicaid contract.
- Perform management responsibilities to include, but are not limited to: involved in hiring and termination decisions, coaching and development, rewards and recognition, performance management and staff productivity. Plan, organize, staff, direct and control the day-to-day operations of the department; develop and implement policies and programs as necessary; may have budgetary responsibility and authority.
- Review, both concurrently and retrospectively, the volume, type and course of appeal matters filed by members and providers.
- Participate in discussions on process improvements or policy changes that could reduce appeal volume.
- Monitor and direct activities of and provides guidance for appeal staff.
- Provide oversight and leadership of the appeals and grievance team ensuring that productivity is maintained/increased.
- Oversee and ensure continuity among levels and types of appeals, both internal and external.
- Draft, review and edit policies of the department that impact operations and have significance from an appeal perspective, with particular emphasis on drafting/modifying policies for timely incorporation of new regulations or contractual requirements.
- Develop or refine quality assessment process for appeals staff and work product. Represent the department effectively in interactions with internal managers and external contacts, such as advocates, attorneys, regulatory personnel and personnel in other departments.
- Provide oversight and intervention to assure appropriate committee composition, advocate participation and stenographic transcription for appeal panels.
- Maintain working relationships with regulatory bodies with respect to all lines of business.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- High School/GED
- Bachelor's Degree
- 5 years of appeals, investigations, resolution, and regulatory compliance in a health insurance environment
- 3 years of managing employees that include non-exempt, exempt, and clinical staff
LICENSES or CERTIFICATIONS
- Experience in appeal practice or other area with interaction on grievances, appeals or complaints investigation and resolution
- Understanding of federal/state regulatory process for healthcare delivery, particularly understanding of coding and reimbursement systems, risk management and performance improvement
- Ability to analyze and apply statutory provisions and regulations to business situations
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally
- Problem solving skills and ability to plan resolutions and evaluate efficiency once implemented
- Ability to effectively establish work plans and set goals and provide effective follow-up
Language (Other than English):
0% - 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org