Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Under the direct supervision of a pharmacist, performs a wide variety of technical and clinical duties to support the provision of pharmaceutical care. Includes, but not limited to, medical preparation (IV, oral, other routes) and delivery, use of automated dispensing technology, customer service interactions and maintenance of appropriate drug supply. Responsible for maintaining confidential reports, entering and retrieving data utilizing the computer system(s), and providing accurate assistance to the pharmacist in performing daily duties. All orders are checked by a pharmacist prior to dispensing.
- DISTRIBUTION/PROCESSING: Process prescription medication orders including computer order entry, medication preparation and assembles all required items prior to the pharmacist's final check. Intake patient's prescriptions documenting all required information, handles telephone interactions; and releases medication as required by policy/procedure. All steps are done in a courteous and efficient manner.
- INVENTORY MANAGEMENT: Continuously maintain pharmacy inventory and supplies according to established policies and procedures, including inspection of assigned areas, use of pharmacy computer systems (i.e. Automated Dispensing units). Order and store drugs in an organized manner; participate in supply chain purchasing initiatives; procure medications and supplies; create purchase orders under the oversight of a pharmacist. Record and process recalls, outdates, returns and credits.
- TRAINING: Maintain competency required for current position and has ability to perform all technician duties to assist in training of new employees, residents and students.
- WORK ENVIRONMENT/SAFETY: Contribute to the effective operation of the department through all activities including computer functions, process cart fill lists, pick lists, refill medications, generation of labels, and answer phones appropriately. Maintain a clean and orderly work environment. Participate in performance improvement and regulatory compliance efforts. Maintain an attitude that promotes and fosters an environment of safety.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE: Implement activities related to the patient experience and improvement, including service recovery. Identify and communicate any issues or barriers in work environment or processes. Recommend process improvements or courses of action for problem resolution to respective team leader or manager in order to help meet department and organizational initiatives and goals.
- INPATIENT SPECIFIC:
- IV PREP/PACKAGING: Compound, stock, repackage and batch from bulk medications. Prepare routine patient orders for IV pharmaceuticals including compounding, preparation and labeling of any IV admixture including antibiotics, solutions, irrigations, narcotics, parenteral nutrition and chemotherapy
- OUTPATIENT SPECIFIC:
- VALIDATES PATIENT AND INSURANCE INFORMATION: Intake patient's prescription documenting all required information; enter insurance information accurately; handle telephone interactions and release medication as required by policy/procedure. Validate Medicaid, Medicare or commercial insurance drug coverage; and ensures adjudication is complete, addressing any error messages. All steps are done in a courteous and efficient manner.
- HANDLE CASH AND OTHER MONIES: Collect money and provide patient with a detailed receipt of any cash or other money transactions and processes sales through the point of sale system. Prepare deposit and accounting reports according to Department and Health Network standards. Responsible for maintaining assigned cash fund.
- ALL: Other duties as assigned
- High school diploma/GED
- Completion of a pharmacy technician training program or 1 year equivalent experience in lieu of formal training program required.
- Pharmacy Technician Certification (CPhT) preferred and required within 3 months of hire.
- Minimum 2 years pharmacy experience preferred (in respective area)
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org