Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
This role actively participates with surgical assisting as well as oversight of the animal health program.
This position will typically work M-F daytime hours with occasional weekends and evenings.
Provides front-line direct supervision related to laboratory animal health. Trains and instructs preclinical and research staff in appropriate animal handling, health, and facility procedures.
- Oversees and directs the daily work flow as it relates to the animal health colony and ensures adherence to departmental standard operating policies and regulatory guidelines. Makes routine decisions regarding the proper care and handling of animals. Is responsible for responding to observed health or behavioral issues under the supervision of the attending veterinarian and in consultation with the research investigator. (30%)
- Provides supervision to preclinical and research staff on performing health assessments, executing treatments, and performing pre-, post- and intraoperative procedures. Recommends disciplinary action and offers input on employee evaluations for preclinical staff. (20%)
- Trains and educates faculty and staff on occupational health, biohazard containment, animal handling, SOPs/policies, regulatory requirements and protocol-specific technical skills. (20%)
- Serves as an institutional resource for current practices and regulatory requirements and devises solutions and modifications to the program to enhance well-being while allowing research requirements to be met. (15%)
- Monitors, identifies and acts to address potential problems of staff, researcher, protocols, animals, etc. by reviewing performance outcomes as they relate to animal care protocols. (15%)
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's degree
- License in Animal Health Technology or Lab Animal Technology
- 3 years supervisory experience in a multi-disciplinary biomedical animal research center or veterinary school/hospital
- Preferred surgical veterinary experience
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org