Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Assists physicians and extenders in providing proper medical and clerical support for the various orthopaedic practice locations.
- After appropriate training and documented competency, performs various related procedures including but not limited to wound care, dressings, EKGs, removal of sutures/staples, application/removal of orthopaedic casts/splints, and drawing up injections, vaccines, botox, phlebotomy for PRP and assisting with ultrasound procedures.
- Assists in the coordination of patient care under the supervision of the assigned health care provider.
- Prepares and rooms patients within the clinical practice setting according to documenting patient health information, history and medications. Accurately interviews patients and orders radiographs according to physician protocols.
- Following standard work flows, accurately documents all pertinent details in the electronic health record. Reviews and updates the allergy and medication list, social, medical and surgical history and pain screening. With appropriate training and documented competency, may function as a scribe to the provider when needed to maintain clinic work flow.
- Able to function as a scribe to the physician when needed to maintain clinic work flow.
- Perform pre-visit chart management tasks by obtaining diagnostic reports and reviewing charts for completion. Scans pertinent findings from outside information to physicians and staff as necessary.
- According to provider instruction and standards, educates patients on proper wound and pin care, cast care and postoperative care.
- According to provider instruction and standards, educates patients on proper wound, pin care, cast care, and postoperative care. Prepares exam room for patient visit. Ensures adequate inventory of medical supplies. Ensures all patient treatment areas are at all times stocked with the appropriate supplies using established inventory standards. Ortho techs who are Medical Assistants with current Medical Assistant Certification may administer medication with documented training and competency in accordance with policy and scope of practice. Ortho Techs who are Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC) cannot administer medications in the clinical setting.
- Requires travel to various satellite locations to support assigned physician(s).
- Performs other duties as assigned when needed.
- High School Diploma/GED
- Proof of graduation from an AHN approved Medical Assistant School within five years of application OR proof of one year of work experience as a clinical MA in the last three years. Certified Athletic Trainers (ATC) will also be considered for this position. Medical Assistant Certification (newly hired medical assistants must complete certification training and/or attempt testing within 30 days of hire. Medical Assistants must obtain certification within 120 days of hire. Once achieved, Medical Assistants must maintain national certification requirements). Medical Assistant Certification will not be available if the individual is an ATC.
- American Heart Association BCLS certification is required.
- 3-5 years’ experience as an Ortho Technician, Medical Assistant, or Athletic Trainer Certified (ATC)
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements. #Sponsored
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org
California Consumer Privacy Act Employees, Contractors, and Applicants Notice