Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
The patient flow supervisor is responsible for the overall flow of patients through the emergency department. Works with the emergency department staff, physicians, case manager, business office staff, environmental services supervisor, admission team, diagnostic imaging, and patient care departments to expedite admission and discharge from the emergency department.
- Directs and supervises team members regarding prioritization and patient flow by monitoring room availability and turnover, notifying the physician and other care providers when a patient is ready for disposition.
- Sets priorities for patient placement by prioritizing ED admits, obtaining patient arrival times for direct admits and communication with Administrative Supervisor in bed control area on an ongoing basis as the volume and departmental situations change.
- Becomes a single point person for communication with the physician, staff and other departments, minimizing the interruptions and facilitating communication with all other providers.
- Works with the emergency department charge nurse to coordinate utilization of patient overflow areas and implementation of capacity management codes, orange, purple, yellow, red and black.
- Is a liaison with other departments and checks on delays in all sub-processes, including lab, imaging, pharmacy and consults.
- Assures that orders, specimen collections and procedures are coordinated to expedite patient flow and is a liaison to patients and their families and provide excellent guest relations to all customers.
- Monitors patient tracking board , oversees use of tracking board by caregivers and contributes to maintaining current data.
- Communicates with environmental services to coordinate clean bed availability.
- Ensures patient report has been recorded in a timely manner to expedite transfer to inpatient room.
- Maintains cooperative working relationships with all departments in order to coordinate the delivery of patient care, patient placement and exchange of patient care information.
- Monitors Emergency Department waiting room and serves as a customer service champion, answers questions regarding wait times and facilitates.
- Serves as a professional resource person to nursing and other personnel and identifies need for improvement in patient care or departmental processes. Assists as needed with patient assessment and interprets medical conditions and prioritizes care.
- Conducts regular rounds in the ED to assess quality of patient care and ensures patient needs are met. Serves as a technical resource.
- Reports status of patient flow processes and performance to various committees as required, and contributes to problem resolution and modification of processes as necessary and is accountable for defined quality measures including patient wait times and holds staff nurses and MD’s accountable for defined quality measures for patient wait times.
- Collects data and reports in a concise and organized format.
- Ability to bend, walk, lift, pull, and stand for extended periods of time is required.
- Apply System knowledge and policies and procedures to provide team directions, assure efficient movement/throughput of all ED patients.
- Graduate of a nursing diploma program, associate's degree in nursing program, or a bachelor's degree in nursing program.
- Minimum 5 years RN experience required. Prior charge nurse/supervisory experience required. Prior patient flow coordination experience in an emergency department and/or patient placement office preferred.
- Must have a minimum of Heartsaver CPR - Course #1 which includes Adult CPR and Foreign, Body Airway instruction (FBOA). Further requirements are department and unit specific.
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org