Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Reporting to the Integrated Delivery System’s SVP, IT Operations, and the Vice President is an integral part of the technology leadership team. The individual will participate in the ongoing development and implementation of the IDS IT strategic plan. The scope of work will be focused mainly on the IDS, however, with our goals to function at the highest levels of accountable care, will include work with other Highmark businesses as well as affiliate providers and state and national healthcare agencies.
The candidate will develop and lead a high performing team, stimulate innovation, promote best practices and drive organizational change and transformation. The incumbent will develop the necessary infrastructure and best practices to assure the successful ongoing operations and activities of these services across the enterprise and initiate, manage and support other technology development. The incumbent will lead the team and facilitate the common understanding of the interoperability architecture in accordance with healthcare industry best practices and standards.
- Establish and enforce principles of good applications design.
- Establish and enforce principles of good applications build.
- Establish and enforce principles of good applications environments controls.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and support for the application services.
- Responsible for the development and management of information systems that directly support medical management and patient care.
- Plan and direct all aspects of interoperability integration of the enterprise clinical information systems (e.g., core clinical systems, ancillary systems, utilization review, O.R. scheduling, remote physician access, physician organization MSO, nursing services, etc.)
- Plan and direct all aspects of interoperability integration of the enterprise financial information systems (e.g., Hospital Billing, Professional Billing, Scheduling, Registration, HIM etc.)
- Implementation and maintenance to effectively apply clinical information technology solutions to improve clinical operations.
- Provide vision and leadership for developing, maintaining and enhancing existing information systems, as well as identifying and implementing new initiatives.
- Directs the design, development, deployment, and support of applications and manage upgrades of existing applications.
- Ensures integration and interoperability and data sharing between care environments.
Oversee the management of applications vendor relationships.
- Responsible for all relationships with off-shore resources.
- Provide advice on evaluation, selection, implementation and maintenance of information systems, ensuring appropriate investment in strategic and operational systems. Includes estimates and plans for human and financial resources.
- Responsible for all IT projects related to selection, acquisition, development, recovery and installation of major information systems for the health system.
- Directs all administrative operations of the Community Connect Program. Establishes strategic alliances with clients, vendors and others to coordinate and integrate services.
- Leads the development of the overall information architecture and integration of systems, processes and technology tools as it relate to the Community Connect program.
- Participates in setting IT vision and strategy.
- Demonstrates the ability to foster a healthy organizational culture, to encourage teamwork and collaboration with diverse constituents.
- Strong interpersonal skills that include the ability to inspire and motivate; develop best practice, analyze complex situations and create solutions.
- Serves as a respected leader, coach, teacher and mentor that values diversity and encourages shared learning
- Provides leadership in developing the program, organizational and financial plans.
- Promotes a culture of openness, accountability, empowerment, collaboration, and innovation throughout the organization
- Develops and leverages effective relationships within the IDS and other Highmark businesses, affiliate providers, state and national government officials and vendor partners to build effective integration strategies which will enable clinicians to have access to complete information in the care of a patient when and where it is needed.
- Maintain a working knowledge of significant developments, trends and game changing innovations in the field and represent the Highmark IDS at local, state and national level meetings.
- Acts as a resource to other department leaders, cross functional multidisciplinary teams and the organization at large.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies, and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- This strategic leader in partnership with the business will advance enterprise-wide clinical and operational performance improvement through the creation and adoption of state-of–the-art best practices and technology to achieve the highest quality, patient centered care at the most attractive cost. He/She will create a sense of urgency, cultural commitment, and enthusiasm around the concepts of continuous improvement strategies to build a learning and transparent organization.
Operational Planning and Management:
- Ensure day to day management of the team.
- Assure the organization has a long-range strategy which achieves its mission and toward which it makes consistent and timely progress.
- Build and manage a high performing, service oriented team positioned to support anticipated growth.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, retains and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people, effectively managing the staff of the organization according to authorized personnel policies and procedures.
- Ensure that the organization is appropriately resourced (in terms of staff, expertise, experience, facilities) to maximize delivery.
- Develop priorities, guidelines and policies and oversee negotiations.
- Prepare reporting on the activities of the organization, goals, accomplishments, issues, metrics and quality measures via a status report or presentations.
- Oversee the development, maintenance and communication of systems documentation, policies and procedures to ensure system and regulatory compliance and the effective utilization of physical and financial resources of computerized information systems for the Health System.
- Ensures that all information systems and networks operate according to internal standards, external accrediting agency standards, regulatory agencies and legal requirements, including HIPAA.
- Contribute to policy and procedure development that will be used in conjunction with the evolving use of new technologies.
- Effectively manages demand and capacity to ensure customer needs are met.
- Analyzes availability of technological and personnel resources, timeliness of projects, and responsiveness to exception conditions that arise.
- Identifies and implements policies, practices and systems to address customer needs.
- Develops and maintains a strategic and tactical plan for the standardization, optimization, and continuous improvement of workflows and technology across the enterprise from a patient centric perspective. This plan will be founded in the guiding principle of enabling health care teams across venues of care with complete patient information. This architecture will support innovation in areas such as quality, safety, informatics, clinical research, and clinical effectiveness.
Financial Planning and Management:
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the IT leadership in preparing a budget and see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Ensure that effective controls are in place in order to guarantee the prudent use of the organizations funds
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interprets common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Information systems, Engineering, Computer Science or Health related field
- A minimum of 10 years related experience preferably in area of focus
- 7 years management experience
- A Master's degree in a field related to the area of focus is highly desired.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Is visionary, strategic, highly motivated, trustworthy, diplomatic, understanding and innovative with a high energy level
- Significant and proven leadership skills. Must demonstrate the ability to conceptualize long-term business goals and align information technology needed to accomplish those goals.
- Deals effectively with pressure, maintaining a focus and intensity and remains persistent, even under adversity; recovers quickly from setbacks
- Ideally the candidate will have knowledge of state and federal regulations as they relate to healthcare and healthcare IT.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and working through conflict. Maneuvers well to get things done, politically aware and agile.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge of Business principles and techniques of administration, organization, and management to include an in-depth understanding of the key business issues that exist in the health care industry. These include, but are not limited to, knowledge of strategic and operational planning, health care economics, personnel administration, federal, state and local laws, marketing, financial and cost analysis, trends in the health care industry, and health care administrative theory and practice.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY
Does this role supervise/manage other employees? Yes
If yes, indicate the number of direct reports:
Indicate the total number of direct and indirect reports:
If yes, please include a copy of the organization chart and complete the supervisor/management tab.
Is Travel Required?
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org