Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
As a member of the health care team and patient care advocate, the Medical Assistant II assists in coordinating the examination, treatment and health care planning for patients under the direction of the provider. Plays an integral role in the training and onboarding of new medical assistants. Also assists with other office functions to support patient care and office operations. Follows all established protocols, policies, procedures and standardized work flows. Effectively contributes to the managed health care needs of the patient. Assists in managing data so that patients can be effectively treated.
- Prepares and rooms patients within the clinical practice setting according to standardized work flows.
- Accurately obtains patient vital signs. Accurately documents patient information, patient history, and medication reconciliation. Prepares exam room for patient visit.
- Acts as an electronic health record (EHR) superuser. Accurately documents all pertinent details in the HER according to established standards and work flows including all pertinent patient interactions at the time of the encounter in the correct EHR note type. Reviews, updates and reconciles medication list in the EHR. Reviews problem list and social history with patient and updates record. Follows Meaningful Use standards and assists with population health management.
- Completes annual wellness visit assessments, requests orders for required age appropriate screenings and documents findings in the correct EHR note type.
- Assists in the coordination of patient care under supervision of the assigned health care provider. Assists providers with examination and procedures.
- Provides clinical leadership oversight, serving as a department resource for clinical questions.
- Assists with patient prescription needs based on established protocols.
- Reviews pre-visit planning documentation and patient chart in advance of appointment time to ensure that the provider is prepared to address required screenings and gaps in care.
- Performs PHQ-9 depression screening, tobacco screening, chronic disease screening and MU required screenings. Performs in-house testing following established protocols and policies.
- In collaboration with the care team nurse, provides follow up with patient at designated intervals via patient preferred method (telephone, electronic, written) in accordance with prescribed provider instructions. Notifies patients of test results under the direction of provider in a timely manner.
- Ensures adequate inventory of medical supplies. Ensures all patient treatment areas are at all times stocked with the appropriate supplies using established inventory standards.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments per established standards. Accurately performs lab controls and equipment checks as assigned.
- Serves as a peer mentor. Responsibly orients new medical assistants in correct office workflows.
- Demonstrates proficiency in teaching pre-visit planning, meaningful use standards, appropriate documentation and workflows. Provides meaningful feedback and performance evaluations for orientees. Mentors students and interns as assigned.
- Accurately performs clerical office functions and other duties as assigned or required.
- Depending on location, may serve as office safety officer: maintains the office safety log, assures the accuracy and completion of all quality assurance testing for all POCT performed in the office environment.
- Depending on location, may perform additional duties such as minor wound care, splinting procedures, and 61 capsules procedures.
- May require travel between physician office locations.
- One year certificate from college or technical school, or one year of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Required: Newly hired medical assistants must complete training and/or attempt testing within 30 days of hire; newly hired medical assistants must obtain certification within 120 days of hire.
- CPR certification required.
- Medical assistants must achieve and maintain certification in accordance with CMS Meaningful Use requirements.
- Prefer experience with practice management software and electronic health record applications.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org