Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
The AHN Medication Safety and Regulatory Manager will serve as the authoritative expert in safe medication practices and regulatory compliance. In conjunction with the Vice President of Pharmacy and the hospital directors, the manager develops a vision which encompasses concepts of a just culture that will enhance transparency. The manager must oversee medication safety plans, create error-prevention strategies, provide expertise in medication error investigations, participate in the design of safe medication delivery process within the system, evaluate medication errors, and ensure compliance with regulations. In regards to Regulatory, the manager will act as a resource for regulatory regulations and accreditation standards (ie. The Joint Commission (TJC), Department of Health (DOH), State Board of Pharmacy (SBOP)).
- Creates strategic vision for Medication Safety and Regulatory across AHN. Manage and coordinate medication safety initiatives for AHN Departments of Pharmacy. Participate in Medication Safety meetings, develop strategic prevention plans for medication errors and report findings to AHN Pharmacy Executive Leadership. (30%)
- Coordinates the development and maintenance of quality improvement programs and medication safety related process measures and outcomes. Investigate, review, analyze, and report to AHN committee's findings of root cause analyses of medication adverse events and other metrics collected for the purpose of improving the safety of the medication-use process (i.e. smart pump, barcode and IV room workflow software utilization, EHR, and automated dispensing machine reporting). (30%)
- Develop and implement staff education to physician, nursing, pharmacy, and other AHN employees on medication safety and regulatory requirements. Communicate to pharmacy departments on medication safety initiatives, safety concerns, and adverse drug metrics. (20%)
- Review regulatory changes and ensure compliance with The Joint Commission, Pennsylvania Department of Health and Patient Safety Authority Standards. In collaboration with indirect reports, conducts and implements appropriate follow up for each site. (10%)
- Routinely review ISMP updates and lead appropriate workflow changes. Coordinates completion of assessment tools related to best practices. (5%)
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary teams (i.e. Medical staff, Nursing, Quality Officer, etc.) in the review and follow-up of identified medication-related incidents that affect or have the potential to impact safety. Serves as a resource and content expert to AHN health care providers. (5%)
- Bachelor's degree in Pharmacy
- Pharmacist license
- 1-3 years post-training health-system practice experience
- Doctorate degree in Pharmacy
- 0-1 year pharmacy residency
- 0-1 year health system administrative residency
This is a network wide position with travel to internal based sites, primarily at Allegheny General Hospital.
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org