Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Date Posted: 10/27/2021
Location: Allegheny General Hospital
Department: Clinical Decision Unit
Status: Full Time/exempt
80 hours every 2 weeks
Shift: Shift: Rotating
The Allegheny Health Network is comprised of eight hospitals: Allegheny General, Allegheny Valley, Canonsburg, Forbes, Jefferson, Saint Vincent, Westfield Memorial and West Penn; and more than 200 primary- and specialty-care practices. And we have approximately 1,700 physicians in every clinical specialty, 17,000 employees and 2,000 volunteers. Together, we provide world-class medicine to patients in our communities, across the country and around the world.
For decades, the hospitals of Allegheny Health Network have been providing people with exceptional healthcare, care that helps people to live healthy lives and care that we deliver throughout their lifetimes.
Since 1885, Allegheny General Hospital (AGH) has offered medical care to Pittsburgh and its surrounding areas. What started with just 50 beds inside two adjoining brick homes has evolved into a premier health care institution with over 600 beds. Today, AGH still follows the founding partners mission statement, “Erected for the benefit of mankind to save life, relieve suffering and conserve health” by continually striving for outstanding patient experience and care. Allegheny General offers its patients many modern-day amenities, state-of-the art surgical suites, innovative technology, and advanced medical treatments, which are delivered by its world-renowned doctors in conjunction with exceptional teams of nurses, technicians, clinicians and supporting staff.
This job manages, supervises, and coordinates the daily operations of a specific patient care department under the direction of the Nurse Manager, providing clinical and administrative leadership and expertise. Contributes to the strategic planning process and attainment of goals of the department/unit, the organization and network.
- Role model mission, vision, and values within their defined areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrates and role models professional behavior with all staff interactions.
- Serves as change agent and role model for change to assist staff in accepting and embracing the necessary change.
- Conducts monthly unit conferences with minutes which include discussions of both unit and organizational activities and goals when delegated
- Completes annual performance appraisals on associates which includes peer feedback process, plan for professional development and employee self-appraisal on delegated associates
- Attends meetings at the direction of the nurse manager
- Promotes unit based shared governance to include ongoing support through consultation and assistance in eliminating barriers in partnership with the nurse manager
- Promotes professional development plan and conducts quarterly check-ins with staff
- Promotes and encourages nursing specialty certification in partnership with the nurse manager
- Promotes employee engagement through leadership rounding.
QUALITY AND PATIENT SAFETY:
- Identifies, plans, and implements activities in partnership with the nurse manager in specified clinical departments which ensures patient care is delivered in accordance with professional standards for nursing practice and is evidenced based, meets patient safety goals and standards and regulatory guidelines.
- Monitors departmental performance in appropriate evidence-based practices quality and patient safety goals, meeting assigned goals.
- Develops action plan for any goal not met which includes timeline.
- Participates in regulatory readiness
- Assists nurse manager in developing a yearly unit based quality plan with unit based clinical practice and performance improvement council based on identified unit needs.
- Participates in operational excellence projects using performance improvement methodologies related to through put and other quality improvement initiatives.
- Works collaboratively with patients, families, peers, and other departments in the organization/network to meet established organizational goals for patient experience..
- Investigates and provides feedback for identified patient or departmental concerns.
- Rounds daily to assess and address patient and family needs.
- Collaborates with nurse manager to Develop departmental plan to address any improvement needs.
- Assists nurse manager in meeting or show consistent progress toward meeting established patient experience goal(s) and metrics.
- Ensures effective implementation of financial plan in partnership with nurse manager
- Demonstrates fiscal stewardship through effective and efficient use of staff, facilities, equipment, and other resources while maintaining patient care standards.
- Maintains both FTE and Goods/Services within established budget, completes variance reports according to established guidelines.
- Utilizes established tools to monitor monthly budget performance, conducting drill down to explain variances as needed.
- Completes daily productivity tracker
- Collaborates with nurse manager to address overtime use with individuals as needed with documentation of discussion.
PROFESSIONAL GROWTH AND DEVELOPMENT:
- Fosters the development of staff through coaching, mentoring, and creating an environment which encourages learning and use of research.
- Assures appropriate orientation and onboarding, education, credentialing, and professional development for personnel in collaboration with education development specialists
- Encourages and facilitates staff membership on councils and committees
- Encourage and facilitate attendance at nursing grand rounds and other educational programs according to educational needs assessment of unit/department or network.
- Foster peer review participation with staff and participate in peer review with other assistant nurse managers.
- Conducts quarterly check-ins with assigned staff to review developmental goals
- Identifies one area for self-improvement annually and develops a plan to improve
- BSN Degree required; Consideration will be given for internal candidates ONLY who are currently enrolled in a BSN program and are within 2 semesters of graduating
- Three (3) years recent nursing experience
- One (1) year supervisory experience
- Current PA RN licensure
- CPR Certification
- Willing to obtain professional nurse national certification
- Professional Nursing National certification
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org