Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Serves as the primary point of contact for patients with a variety of health or illness questions. Provides remote nursing triage to a variety of patient populations across the life spans including infants, the elderly, patients with behavioral needs and recently discharged hospital patients. Performs a skilled and thorough nursing assessment, prioritizes patient needs, and refers to the appropriate level of care that will ensure an optimal outcome. Provides comprehensive assessment and utilizes evidence based guidelines, along with insight of the nursing process, and a proven ability to critically analyze information from the patient and available medical records in the decision making process. Ensures access to care.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for telephone patients with a variety of health-related question or concerns.
- Collects subjective data related to the presenting problem and medical history.
- Utilizes critical thinking and problem solving skills to recognize and match symptoms to protocol, assigning acuity (emergent, urgent, acute and non-acute) and ensuring safe, timely disposition of health related calls.
- Offers home treatment advice as appropriate. Accesses patient information.
- Documents encounter and decision making in a concise and accurate manner, utilizing the patient's own words as appropriate.
- Accesses patient information. Educates patients utilizing principles of active listening.
- Communicates based on patient’s level of understanding and comprehension.
- Recalls knowledge of the teaching principles of health care information to pediatric, adult and geriatric populations.
- Ensures that the caller comprehends health information and clinical advice to make informed healthcare decisions. Conveys to the caller in a 'telecharismatic' manner, that they are the #1 priority.
- Establishes an immediate therapeutic rapport with callers, making every effort possible to resolve the problem.
- Listens, communicates and documents simultaneously while navigating computer programs to assess, process, educate and document all information in a professional manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge and use of the nursing process to identify physical, psychosocial, and developmental needs and interventions to promote favorable outcomes.
- Meets established quality standards, competencies, and educational training and requirements.
- Pursues opportunities to gain knowledge.
- Participates in staff meetings, in-services, committees, and continuing education opportunities. Adheres to organizational and departmental policies, procedures, and established best practices.
- Demonstrates a commitment to patient centered care.
- Shifts may include alternating shifts and/or on call, or a combination.
- Proficiency at directing patients to various resources/knowledge of available patient resources, working with offices/staff to accommodate patient needs and working with afterhours/answering services to ensure patients are triaged appropriately and needs are met timely.
- Triage of patients internal and external to AHN. Proficiency at obtaining medical records, obtaining authorizations, and developing any skills necessary to expedite and facilitate access and allocation of patient services.
- Proficiency to navigate necessary databases and resources.
- Proficiency with navigation across diagnoses and treatments, as well as knowledge of applicable resources with ability to triage, document and assist appropriately patient appropriately.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing
- Current State Registered Nurse (RN) license
- Basic Life Support (BLS) certification
- Registered Nurse with 3 or more years of experience in a medical-surgical, primary care, pediatric, ED, case management, or clinical environment
- Skilled at navigating EMR preferably EPIC, MS Word, and prior job experience with typing and computer usage
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing
- Certification in nursing specialty
- Telephone triage experience
- Expertise in crisis intervention, teaching/coaching, disease management and diagnostic monitoring
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org