Company :Highmark Health
Job Description :
This job assigns codes (ICD-9, 10, CPT and HCPCS) which most accurately describe diagnosis, procedures and therapies according to established guidelines. The incumbent assigns and sequences ICD-9 CM/CPT/HCPCS and ICD-10 codes to diagnoses and procedure for the documented information.
- Compile, abstract and maintain patient medical records to document condition and treatment. Actively code diagnoses (ICD-9) based on medical record documentation.
- Review records for completeness, accuracy and compliance with regulations. Protect the security of medical records to ensure that confidentiality is maintained.
- Participate in inter-rater reliability testing/peer review exercises, as requested.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Associate's Degree
- 3 years of related and progressive experience in lieu of Associate's degree
- 1 years of Coding
- Experience with commercial claims and/or medical/surgical products or Medicare advantage or Medicare fee for service program coverage
- Experience with the Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS)
- Experience with International Classification of Diseases (ICD-9, ICD-10) information
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Required (one of the following)
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)
- Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Knowledge of coding International Classification of Diseases, 9th Revision (ICD-9) codes
- Understands and applies appropriate Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) guidelines to coding
- Knowledge of anatomy, physiology and medical terminology
- Coding software familiarity
- Excellent verbal, math and written communication skills
- Data entry
Language (Other than English):
0% - 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org