Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
This job evaluates complex patients in community settings for clinical conditions and social determinant of health barriers to identify underlying causes of emergent and acute healthcare services utilization. Employing independent decision making, Community Paramedics help patients develop self-management goals and coordinate with primary and specialty physician practices, social work and case management, and non-network affiliated entities in addition to prehospital care services to improve patient/clinician relationships and reduce the need for emergency services. They reinforce patient education delivered in traditional healthcare settings working to improve health literacy in support of those goals, and assist patients in developing resilient strategies to independently locate resources. Community Paramedics perform basic and advanced examinations within their scope of practice to evaluate emergent, urgent, and chronic conditions, triaging as appropriate, and ensuring appropriate follow on care is delivered and may provide critical life support interventions when necessary.
- Coordinates with primary care practices, specialist clinicians, social services, and community organizations to connect patients to needed resources (35%)
- Conducts holistic evaluation of clinical, social, psychological, and environmental factors of referred patients in out-of-hospital community settings to include addiction and trauma risk factors and either develops patient centric goals to improve self-management or establishes necessity for long term case management (20%)
- Conducts and documents in-depth clinical and social history research related to identified social determinant barriers at the individual patient and selected population level (15%)
- In coordination with case management and social work services, evaluates hospitalized patients for vulnerability to near-future complications and utilization (10%)
- Assess health literacy and patient knowledge of their specific clinical conditions and ensure necessary education and advocacy are delivered. (5%)
- Functions as a subject matter expert and liaison for Mobile Integrated Health and Prehospital Care Services to network Quality and Value stakeholders to improve integration of services. Includes public speaking and outreach activities. (5%)
- Maintains current Pennsylvania licensure as a paramedic and stays current with all applicable trends and regulations within the EMS community. (5%)
- Other duties as assigned. (5%)
- 5-7 years Prehospital Care clinician (EMT, AEMT, or Paramedic)
- 1-3 years Paramedic (full unrestricted ALS)
- Paramedic (PA)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS)
- Bachelor’s degree in Emergency Medicine, Public Health, Education, Health Science, Emergency Management, or similar
- 1-3 years Social services, mental health, or public health agency
- Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Basic Life Support (BLS) Instructor Certification
- National Registry of EMTs - Nationally Registered Paramedic (NRP)
- IBSC/BCCTPC Community Paramedic - Certified (CP-C)
- Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training (ASIST)
- Pennsylvania Certified Allied Addiction Practitioner (CAAP)
- Advanced Medical Life Support (AMLS)
- Advanced Stroke Life Support (ASLS)
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org