Company :Highmark Health
Job Description :
This job is responsible for the overall management and technical oversight of an actuarial staff (fellows, associates, actuarial candidates, and/or support personnel) where activities are concerned with pricing and rate development; overseeing assigned actuarial staff and projects and developing and implementing sound actuarial policies and practices to help Highmark meet its financial objectives; providing technical support for other areas such as Product Management & Development, Underwriting & Rating, and Sales.
- Perform management responsibilities to include, but are not limited to: involved in hiring and termination decisions, coaching and development, rewards and recognition, performance management and staff productivity. Plan, organize, staff, direct and control the day-to-day operations of the department; develop and implement policies and programs as necessary; may have budgetary responsibility and authority.
- Oversee the preparation of rate filings for large group, small group, direct pay, or senior products.
- Work with Underwriting and Rating, Sales and Product Management and Development to develop and implement appropriate rating strategies for group, direct pay or senior lines of business. Ensure that all strategies are in compliance with rate filings and applicable regulations.
- Provide advanced support for the claim reserve process.
- Provide assistance and risk management to the Product Management and Development area for pricing development of new products. Ensure that all new products are financially viable and stable.
- Determine underlying factors impacting pure premium trends for various products and regions. Monitor trends for use in rating. Identify any shifts in trend and take appropriate pricing actions.
- Other duties as assigned or requested.
- Bachelor’s Degree, with a strong emphasis in Actuarial Science, Mathematics and Statistics
- Bachelor’s degree in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, or Statistics.
- 8 or more years Actuarial experience, to include 5 years' management experience and/or experience leading teams and/or projects of varying size and complexity
- Attainment of the ASA (Associate) designation in the Society of Actuaries
- Must be committed to pursuing actuarial exams and obtaining (FSA) - Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries (SOA)
- Member of the American Academy of Actuaries (MAAA)
- 10 or more years of actuarial experience
- Obtainment of the Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries (FSA) - Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries (SOA)
- Ability to apply extensive knowledge of actuarial methods and procedures
- Strong supervisory, communication, organization and project management skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of the following actuarial proficiency: In-depth knowledge of one or more of the following: premium rate calculations, required reserves, plan design, trend analysis, rate table construction, actuarial research, or systems development.
Language (Other than English):
0% - 25%
PHYSICAL, MENTAL DEMANDS and WORKING CONDITIONS
Teaches / trains others regularly
Travel regularly from the office to various work sites or from site-to-site
Works primarily out-of-the office selling products/services (sales employees)
Physical work site required
Lifting: up to 10 pounds
Lifting: 10 to 25 pounds
Lifting: 25 to 50 pounds
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org