Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Under direct supervision of the physician, the Surgical First Assistant facilitates the procedure and process of surgery by aiding in the exposure, hemostasis, and visualization of anatomic structures during surgery.
- Determines room setup and required equipment and instrumentation necessary for each case and directs this to the circular nurses and surgical technicians for execution. Serves as a liaison between the surgeon and OR team for any supplies that are needed during surgery. Verifies that all equipment is in working order and defective equipment is sent out for repair. (20%)
- Positions the patient to ensure the best surgical exposure using appropriate surgical apparatuses according to surgeon preference and the patient's comfort and safety. Positioning apparatuses are not limited to tourniquets, leg positioners, traction apparatus, beach chairs, all safety devices, seat belts, pressure pads, and thermal units. (20%)
- Provides visualization of operative site by selection and placing the securing retractor to prevent injury to vessels, nerves, and soft tissue. This includes, but is not limited to digital manipulation of tissue, suctioning, irrigating, sponging, and cauterizing. (15%)
- Assists with hemostasis, utilizing appropriate techniques, including but not limited to clamping and/or cauterizing vessels or tissues, tying and/or legating clamped vessels or tissues. Verifies surgical site and participate in surgical time out. Sterile preps patient for surgery, apply surgical drapes according to surgeon preference and hospital policy, passes off suction, electro cautery, irrigation equipment and secure to drapes. (15%)
- Utilizes appropriate techniques to assist and perform closures. Select and apply surgical dressing including casts, splints, braces, and slings as per surgeon preference and transfer patient to recovery bed. (15%)
- Orients current and new surgical employees, student nurses, surgical technicians, and anesthesia residents on the surgical procedures and processes. (15%)
- Performs other duties as requested or required, including providing 72-hour weekend call coverage.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Graduate from a surgical assisting program accredited through ARC-ST.
- To sit for the certified first assistant exam, the candidate must have 2 years’ experience as a certified surgical technologist, then 350 surgical cases in the role of 1st assisting.
- This position requires ongoing continuing medical education hours and an ongoing recertification examination in accordance with NBSTSA requirements.
- Successful completion of hospital credentialing process.
- Knowledge of all orthopedic surgical instruments from multiple manufacturers.
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( https://www.eeoc.gov/sites/default/files/migrated_files/employers/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org