Company :Allegheny Health Network
Job Description :
Independently cultures and analyzes a wide variety of specimens, including amniotic fluid, blood, bone marrow, CVS, and tissue, for the purpose of providing valuable clinical information for the diagnosis, treatment, and management of inherited and acquired genetic diseases.
- Analyzes the appropriate number of cells by meticulously scanning slides and evaluating individual chromosome spreads under the microscope for numerical and structural aberrations. Recognizes any abnormalities, calling them to the attention of the Senior Tech who determines whether additional cells should be analyzed, or if additional banding methods. (50%)
- Harvests cells and prepares slides, adjusting techniques to compensate for biological variability and environmental conditions. Stains slides with appropriate banding techniques, monitors slide and staining quality and makes adjustments as necessary. (20%)
- Captures and karyotypes appropriate cells on the Cytovision computer. (15%)
- Performs quality control on new reagent and chemical lot numbers, keeping appropriate records. (5%)
- Arranges for transportation of specimens, receives specimens, reviews paperwork information for completeness and testing necessity, contacts physicians for additional information, completes billing information and responds to physician inquiries.(5%)
- Increases understanding of cytogenetic principles and new developments through journals, meetings and presentations and incorporates new techniques into daily use when applicable. (5%)
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor's Degree in ASCP eligible program
- Experience in Cytogenetics
- Experience in tissue culture, FISH, and analysis of all tissue types
Disclaimer: The job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and essential duties and responsibilities of work performed by employees within this job title. It may not contain a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees to do this job.
Compliance Requirement : This job adheres to the ethical and legal standards and behavioral expectations as set forth in the code of business conduct and company policies.
As a component of job responsibilities, employees may have access to covered information, cardholder data, or other confidential customer information that must be protected at all times. In connection with this, all employees must comply with both the Health Insurance Portability Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) as described in the Notice of Privacy Practices and Privacy Policies and Procedures as well as all data security guidelines established within the Company’s Handbook of Privacy Policies and Practices and Information Security Policy.
Furthermore, it is every employee’s responsibility to comply with the company’s Code of Business Conduct. This includes but is not limited to adherence to applicable federal and state laws, rules, and regulations as well as company policies and training requirements.
Highmark Health and its affiliates prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals based on their status as protected veterans or individuals with disabilities, and prohibit discrimination against all individuals based on their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity or any other category protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Highmark Health and its affiliates take affirmative action to employ and advance in employment individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation/gender identity, protected veteran status or disability.
EEO is The Law
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/ProtectedVeterans/Disabled/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity ( http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf )
We endeavor to make this site accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact number below.
For accommodation requests, please contact HR Services Online at HRServices@highmarkhealth.org